Proddatur is the second largest town in the Kadapa district of Andhra Pradesh state in India. It is renowned for its gold and cotton business. After Bombay, in India, this place is supposed to have the highest transaction of gold in the country. Also it is a known base for some major chemical and cement industries like Zuari, ICL and the like. The city is referred to as the “Second Bombay” because of the volume of gold and cotton business is high. It is famousfor its celebrations during the Vijaya Dasami festival(Dussera) and is considered second Mysore when it comes to these celebrations. It has famous temples Sufi Saint (Sha Hussian vali) Darga, largely know as Chausain Vali Darga. It is located near Gold Market. It is known for varieties of evening snack items (e.g.Mirchi Bajji, Cut Mirchi, Rice Puffs Mixture and various other sweets and hot snacks) with mouthwatering taste. Various stalls boast this trend in the town. Shukur Biryani as well as for Irani Tea, Tangedu Palley sweets started from Proddatur, using a special ghee Prop: T Mohammed Asif(MCA).
As per one legend, the origin of this town’s name is related to the great Indian epic Ramayana. As per epic, Lord Sri Rama Chandra was on his way back to his homeland Ayodhya from Lanka after killing the demon Ravana. At the onset of dusk, Lord Rama decides to halt on the river bed of the river Penna. At sunset (which translates to ‘poddu’ in Telugu – which is the local language) he asks his wife Sita to find a place for them to rest for the night. It is believed that this placed was henceforth called Podduturu or Proddatur.
On the banks of the river Penna, there is a place called Rameswaram which consists of a temple ofLord Shiva. it is believed that Lord Rama Chandra made Lord Shiva’s Linga out of sand on the banks of river Penna and installed it in temple. Once can still see the hand prints of Lord Rama on the Shiva Linga. This temple also has a deity of Durga Mata.
One possible origin of the town’s name is from the Sanskrit Bhradhna-Puri.
Another possible origin of the town’s name is from the large bushes which used to cover the land. In Telugu, these were known as podalu. Hence podalu ooru (‘podalu town’), which became ‘podalakuru’, and later ‘proddaturu’.
Proddatur also has other very famous temples like Agastareswaralayam, Amma Vaari Sala and Lord Venakateswara Temple at Bollavaram, which are known for their history and prime deities.
NRP’S: Non Resident PRODDATURIANS website has started http://nrps.in 14th Dec 2008. So every Prodduturian or related to it can join in this address.
Research and investigation by Indian Geographical center for natural resources have determined that there are gold mines with in 1 mile radius of Proddatur Bus station on Mydukur Road.Also Proddatur has been known to be city of Gold.
The town is well connected by road to surrounding towns. The nearest railway station is Yerraguntla, located 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) from the town and on the Mumbai–Chennai railway line. A new railway station is under construction in Proddatur on the bypass road near Jammalamadugu Road towards Rameshwaram from the town to [Nandyal]. Shortly this railway line would be commenced. Furhter, Railways accepted for Cumbum(Prakasam district) – Proddatur railway line in 2010 Railways Budget and a survey was underway.
- Padmanabham (Famous South Indian Actor, who acted more than 1000 movies)
- Santha Kumari (Famous South Indian Drama and Movie Actress)
- Geethanjali (Famous South Indian Drama and Movie Actress)
- Puttaparthi Narayanacharya (Renowned Poet also well konwn as Saraswati Putra)
- Gadiyaram Venkata Sesha Sastry
- Rajanna Kavi (Famous Poet, Mastered in Ashtavadhanam)
- Narala Rama Reddy
- ‘Sathavadhani’ Subbanna (Mastered in Sathavadhanam and famous for Avadhanam with Well Known Poets Like Puttaparthi Narayanacharya, Gadiyaram Venkata Sesha Sastry, of his Period]]
- Jinka Subramanyam(Popular Writer and Former President of Kadapa District Writers Association,secretary puttaparthisahithipeetam)
- Dr.Rangapuram Mallesudu[Submitted “Mahabharathamlovidhyavidhanam” in Telugu as thesis for doctorate and translated it into English as “The sysytem of education in the mahabharata”,”yadhuvamsavibhavam” in Telugu ,yadhuvamsavibhavam audio cassette, and many other books]
If you are in Proddatur and would like to go mountain climbing, hiking, skiing or surfing, or maybe do the double in one day?
Temples at proddatur
- Sivalayam (Agastheshwaralayam) Temple – Located in the centre of the town , Lord Shiva’s temple.
- Kanyaka Parmeswari Aalayam (Ammavarishala) – The belief is that Sankarasent down a small flow of water from the rounded plaits (Jatas) where he stored the holy Ganga, to this town of “Bhradhnapuri” which later was named Proddatur, meaning almost the same in Telugu.
- Bradhna is the Sanskrit form for Proddu in Telugu, which means Surya.
- Datta Peetham aka Satyanarayana Swamy Temple – Lord Satyanarayana Swamy temple located in Y.M.R colony. Temple has also the dieties of YogiRaja Vallabha Datta, Siva Panchayatana, Goddess Chamundeswari, Lord Hanuman and newly installed Yoga Naarasimha and Sudarshana idols. The Sudarshana idol is first of its kind in Andhra Pradesh.Avadhoota Datta Peetham (Mysore) took over the temple responsibilities in late 1980s.
- Chennakesava Swami Temple – Ancient Lord ChennaKesava’s temple, located near Old Market.
Ayyappaswamy Temple – Beautiful Temple
located on the bank of Penna river near to PMF-Quarters.
Rameswaram Temple — One of the oldest Temples in Proddatur. There is a saying that the people who visit Kasi should visit Rameswaram in Proddatur, to complete their “Kasi journey”.
Sai Baba Temple – There are two Sai Baba temples in Proddatur: one on Rameswaram road, and another in Y.M.R Colony.
Lord Venkateswara temple – It is located in Ballavaram, which is on the Jammalamadugu Road. The temple got its recognition after reconstructing the temple. For every Pongal, in this temple many cultural activities are conducted.
Narasimha Swami Temple – Historical and Old temple located in Narasimhapuram village, 5 km from Proddatur. For every Sankranthi festival, Narasimha Jayanthi, bhajans, events are conducted at this temple. It got into notice after renovation in 2001 and this village is also famous for Silk sarees.
Sivalayam Temple – Small temple, but old temple, located in outskirts of Narasimhapuram and Pedda Settipalli villages.
Veera Brahmendra swamy temple- Located in Achari colony.
Nookalola Gudi – In this temple Rajarajeswari devi and Lord Venkateswara are the deities. This temple was known as Nookalola (family name of the key person/devotee involved) gudi.
Chowshen vali durga-In this we can see the chowshen vali baba.It is very famous Durga in proddaturit is near to old market.
sri kodandaramaswamy temple-located in ayodhyanagar,vasantapeta
sri Kodandaramalayam temple-located in Dwarakanagar[Acharla colony]
Mosques in prodddatur
Khadar Hussain Masjid, Srinivasa Nagar
Nadim palle Masjid
Dastagiri peta Masjid
Churches in proddatur
The Penthe kostu machine church, Auto nager
Shalom church, Gandhi Road
Proddatur – Place for Gold Business
Proddatur is situated on the north bank of the Penner eight miles from Yerraguntla railway station and is 51KM away from the district head quarters – Kadapa. Proddatur is certainly the wealthiest town in the Kadapa district and possibly in the Ceded (Rayalaseema) Districts. In its pressing and ginning factories large quantities of raw cotton are prepared for the market by power-driven machinery. The trade of the town, the bulk of which is concerned wath cotton, indigo and food-grains, is chiefly in the hands of the rich Komati (AryaVysya) community which is here very largely represented. Evidence of their prosperity is seen in their substantial jewellers shops with which the place abounds. The town has a very busy bazaar and a local fund market where country produce is brought in and sold every day.
Proddatur vs Bombay
Basically proddatur is very famous for gold business. Proddatur got the name and fame as Second Bombay in respect of gold business. Not only for gold business it is also very famous for cloth business through outIndia. In proddatur there are nearly 500 gold business shops are located in an area called Ammavarisala street. Here we can find the different differentdesigns and models of jewelery which even not available in Hyderabad, Bangalore & Chennai. One more great news is that you can find the gold rates at proddatur on any news paper in their business papers. Good thing is that the gold rates at proddatur are less by comparing with other cities like Hyderabad, Bangalore & Chennai.
Proddatur is of the most shoping complexs in Rayalasema.”VIVEKANANDA ‘, “BALAJI “,VASTRA BHARATHI” are the most famous whole markets in proddatur. SHOPPING CENTRES are in about 3000+ [only clothes] in proddatur in that famous in all designer and handlooms wear.
For any queries regarding above topic, please tell us through below comment session.